India needs private sector investment in education, research | ICTPost.com

See on Scoop.itRESEARCH CAPACITY-BUILDING IN AFRICA

India has several private educational institutions but none that are world standard or even attempting to be so. Government restrictions on operations prevent the truly-ambitious– from an academic viewpoint – from investing in education. At least two wealthy individuals in India have plans to invest $1 billion each to create world-class private universities, but they are holding off for reasons that are not hard to understand.

 

As competition from emerging countries is on the rise for the Indian information technology (IT) industry, it is time to improve the sector, said President Pranab Mukherjee.

 

“Though India has an important position in the global IT and IT-enabled services, its prominence is being challenged by new emerging economies. We have to therefore, improve the competitiveness of this sector,” he said.

 

“Research and development (R&D) is the basic constituent of promoting innovation. The culture of research needs to be further augmented. Only about 6,000 patent applications were filed by Indians in 2010, which is a mere 0.3 per cent of the total applications filed in the world. India spends only 0.9 per cent of GDP on R&D whereas China spends about 1.2 per cent, the UK 1.7 per cent and Israel 4.3 per cent,” he said.

 

Click headline to read more–

Nevermore Sithole‘s insight:

India needs private sector investment in education, research

See on ictpost.com

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s